October 17, 2013
You Need a Raise! Fighting Growing Income Inequality and the Policies that Foster It
7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
The National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA)
4301 Wilson Blvd
Arlington, VA 22203
The incomes of most Americans have stagnated over the last 30 years while the incomes of the top 1 percent have shot up. In fact, almost all of the income growth since the recovery from the recession has gone to the top 1 percent. Recovery from the recession has been slow because most Americans have not participated in the recovery, and policies have not been implemented that reverse this trend. In a forum hosted by the National Affairs Committee and Fairfax County Democratic Committee, participants will examine causes of growing income inequality; illuminate the ever-widening drag on national economic growth and the social, financial, political costs; and propose policy corrections. The event was streamed live.
- CEPR Co-Director Dean Baker;
- Hedrick Smith, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of "Who Stole the American Dream?”;
- Thea Lee, deputy chief of staff, AFL-CIO President's Office;
- Lori Wallach, director of Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch;
- and Lawrence Mishel, president of the Economic Policy Institute.
This event is free of charge, and a live webcast can be found at www.insidescoopproductions