Panel Discussion: "The Federal Reserve Board and Stock Market Volatility"
For Immediate Release: August 15, 2000
WASHINGTON, DC-- The Office of Representative Dennis Kucinich (Ohio) and the Center for Economic and Policy Research will host a panel discussion, “The Federal Reserve Board and Stock Market Volatility,” on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 from 10:00 – 11:30 A.M. in room 2203 of the Rayburn House Office Building.
As the Federal Reserve Board debates its next move on interest rates, this panel of discussants will consider:
- Has the Fed been irresponsible in its hands-off attitude toward the stock market?
- Are interest rate hikes the answer to every question of economic policy?
- What could the Fed be doing to stabilize the economy and promote full employment while containing inflation?
Moderated by Mark Weisbrot, Co-Director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR), this discussion will include:
- Dean Baker, Co-Director, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR)
- Tom Palley, Assistant Director of Public Policy, AFL-CIO
- Rob Scott, Economist, Economic Policy Institute
- Bill Spriggs, Director, Research and Public Policy Department, National Urban League