Jun 03, 2021
8:30 AM - 10:30 AM (GMT-5)
European United Left/ Nordic Green Left
Against the global challenges from climate change, ending poverty to securing peace and disarmament there is an increasing need to continue and to deepen a closer cooperation with US and EU progressive forces and to build up a coordinated progressive agenda.
The event focused on challenges, aspects and tasks in the areas of Foreign Trade and Foreign Policy and on Strengthening Public Sector – Reducing Poverty in the Post Pandemic Era.
This event was part of The Left group’s Strategic Initiative on the transatlantic EU-US relations.
- Mark Weisbrot, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, on: Biden’s macroeconomic approach, US sanctions, IFIs, Latin America and Europe
- MEP Marisa Matias, The Left shadow rapporteur on the European Parliament’s report on the future of EU – US relations, which is currently being negotiated
- Medea Benjamin, co-founder of the women-led peace group CODEPINK, on: positioning of the Biden administration in the recent Israel-Palestine conflict and broader Middle East policy (including Iran)
- MEP Helmut Scholz, The Left coordinator in the Committee on International Trade, on: EU – US – China trade relations
- Tobita Chow, director of Juctice is Global, on: environment, supply chains, vaccine diplomacy, trade policy and US-China relations
Interpretation available in English, French, German, Spanish and Greek