December 10, 2013
David Brooks presented readers with an outline of the types of people who will exist in a future economy in which, by his assessment, 15 percent of the people will thrive as a result of being able to work with computers and the 85 percent will struggle. While his list includes synthesizers, humanizers, and motivators, it left out justifiers.
Justifiers are likely to be an important category of worker in high demand in an economy where 15 percent of the population thrive at the expense of the other 85 percent. They are likely to be especially important in a context where the wealth and prosperity of the 15 percent depends on government granted patents and copyright monopolies. Advocates of free markets and equality might advocate more efficient mechanisms for financing creativity and innovation.